ATX Community

SE TP has "good samaritan" health care thru church group

schirallicpa

Does that qualify for page 1 health insurance deduction?

I didn't take it as a deduction last year (last year and this year are first time he's made any profit)

However, I do believe that "membership in a medical service co-op" is deductible on Sch A as med expense, so I don't know why it wouldn't fly on page 1 for se health ins deduction. 

But - I'm not finding anything that defines "eligible" health insurance premiums.

any thoughts on this?

:pop: :pop: :pop:

My husband and I, both self-employed, participate in Good Samaritan health care sharing ministry.  It is my understanding that the monthly share amounts paid are not deductible anywhere - not on Schedule A or as self-employed health insurance.  If your client makes donations directly to Good Samaritan for sharing unmet or unpublishable needs then those amounts would be deductible as contributions on Schedule A.  Participation does however qualify the taxpayer for an exemption from the health insurance coverage requirement. 

If anyone knows or finds anything different I would sure love to know about it.

• Like 1

The flip side is that if your client has medical expenses that are published and shared among the members then he does not have to count the money received from other members as income and he gets to deduct the whole amount as medical expense (subject to the % of AGI and assuming he can itemize, of course).