ATX Community

T/P missed three yr deadline by one month is there anything that can be done

mrichman333

I have a T/P that came to me last year to file her 2009-2013 returns.  She didn't come in till after April 15th.  Her 2010 return had a $6,000 refund.  She just got a notice that she misses the three year deadline and will not get her money.

Is there any exceptions or sob stories she can give to get her money?

I have a T/P that came to me last year to file her 2009-2013 returns.  She didn't come in till after April 15th.  Her 2010 return had a $6,000 refund.  She just got a notice that she misses the three year deadline and will not get her money.

Is there any exceptions or sob stories she can give to get her money?

Nope.  That is a hard line in the sand.  The cost of procrastination.  Three years is plenty of time.....

No. That's by statue and there is nothing you can do. Someone took the IRS to court because she filed in time with the IRS but she forgot to sign her return. The return was returned by the IRS and when the return was returned to the IRS with signature, the return was late. The IRS prevailed in court because when the return was returned to the IRS with signature the statue of limitations kicked in.

I hope you don't return to me stating that you don't understand that the return was returned.