ATX Community

Deceased TP E-file

Ray in Ohio

TP died 11/07. Spouse is filing as surviving spouse. ATX won't let me create efile with the following error:

Name is too long for efile (currently JOHN A DECD & JANE A SMITH) Truncate using ........ blah blah blah etc

I have had this error message with hyphenated last names and I know how to correct that. But I am thinking this error has to do with the "DECD" in the TP's name field. This "DECD" is not in the name field on the 1040 and I don't know how to get rid of it, if that is my problem.

Thought maybe someone has experienced this before and will know the answer to my problem(s).

(It's hard to find the solution if you don't know what the problem is)

Thanks!!!!!

Create an efile with the correct last name. If you have problems with last name being too long, shorten deceased's last name to 4 characters. If you still have problems, then for sure you have a problem with the name being so long.

DECD as last name should be a problem after the IRS does his matching magic.

TP died 11/07. Spouse is filing as surviving spouse. ATX won't let me create efile with the following error:

Name is too long for efile (currently JOHN A DECD & JANE A SMITH) Truncate using ........ blah blah blah etc

I have had this error message with hyphenated last names and I know how to correct that. But I am thinking this error has to do with the "DECD" in the TP's name field. This "DECD" is not in the name field on the 1040 and I don't know how to get rid of it, if that is my problem.

Thought maybe someone has experienced this before and will know the answer to my problem(s).

Thanks!!!!!

Ray, I am working on one right now.

You should not have "DECD" in the name field. Leave the names as they were previously. The information is put in the filers info section at the bottom of the 1040 page and it carries to the correct place on the 1040.

This is sort of technical but what is on page 1 of the 1040 isn't what the IRS wants transmitted. It would be a lot simplier if the name elements were sent one at a time but nooooooo.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/1346_part_1_ty_2007_final.pdf

Start at page 174 and peruse. The name that the IRS gets, and requires, is only 35 characters and is a single text string containing the taxpayer and spouse first, last, middle, suffix, DECD, a couple special symbols and spaces. The software puts it all together as it should be. That's what software does. But because of all the extra stuff the IRS specifies, a perfectly good 35 character name on page 1 of the 1040 can be too long.

If you get that message when an efile is created, then, because of all the IRS fluff in the name field, you have to shorten something.

Try this (also from page 174). p.s. second given name is a middle name, given name is first name. They even complicated their solution.

5. Name Line 1 CANNOT CONTAIN MORE THAN 35 CHARACTERS.

If information in Name Line 1 exceeds 35 characters, truncate using the

following priority:

a. Substitute the initial for the second given name.

b. Omit the second initial of the secondary taxpayer, if necessary.

c. Omit the second initial of the primary taxpayer, if necessary.

d. Substitute initials for the secondary taxpayer's given name.

e. Substitute initials for the primary taxpayer's given name.

Thanks!!!!!

Take the DECD out of the name block. Go to the filer's info icon on the 1040. there is a spot for DOD for the tax payer below the spot for the DOB. What happens is that at the top of the 1040 it will list his name and date of death...that's it