ATX Community

PTC notice

ILLMAS

My client received a notice that he did not file his 2014 return and they need form 8962 to reconcile it to form 1095-A, did anyone else client received this notice?  I doubled checked and the form was included and it was efiled and accepted back in April 2015. 

I hear something similar from time to time - a form someone says was mailed or efiled and a notice that it was not filed/received.  The notice would be more accurately say the form/return cannot be found, instead of that it was not filed.

All data can be lost, even by a tax agency.  Sometimes it is a small sample, sometimes there is enough to point to a specific issue.  A few years back, an unusual number of our customers reported the IRS was telling them a certain year and quarter 941 was not filed.  Given the number of just our customers reporting this, there had to have been some larger data loss on the machine keeping that year and quarter's scanned paper filed forms.  I say "machine" since if there was a backup, or a backup that was useful, there would not have been an issue.

Are you sure they didn't say the opposite--they need the 1095A to reconcile with the 8962?  We got one of those letters and it turned out to be our fault.  The amounts on the A changed midway through the year but the preparer entered them all the same.  Turns out the guy had gotten extra ACA credit when we filed his return and had to pay it back.

Anyone else have the feeling that Congress and the Administration are now targeting the IRS with almost frivolous criticisms, still paying them back for going after tea party groups, or faulting them for trying to administer the ACA that some policymakers hate?  Today there was a report critical of the IRS because it did not have the ACA info from the exchanges by Jan 20.  How can that be the IRS's fault?  In another decade the complaints might have been directed to the exchanges, or mitigated by the fact that this was a massive new undertaking bound to have some bumps and wrinkles.  But in today's hostile environment, the IRS is to blame.  Those policymakers who hate the ACA hate the IRS for trying to do the job those same policymakers mandated it to do.  Guess their budget will get cut again, making it less likely they can fix the problems and opening them up for a new round of blame next year.

• Like 4

Are you sure they didn't say the opposite--they need the 1095A to reconcile with the 8962?  We got one of those letters and it turned out to be our fault.  The amounts on the A changed midway through the year but the preparer entered them all the same.  Turns out the guy had gotten extra ACA credit when we filed his return and had to pay it back.

Anyone else have the feeling that Congress and the Administration are now targeting the IRS with almost frivolous criticisms, still paying them back for going after tea party groups, or faulting them for trying to administer the ACA that some policymakers hate?  Today there was a report critical of the IRS because it did not have the ACA info from the exchanges by Jan 20.  How can that be the IRS's fault?  In another decade the complaints might have been directed to the exchanges, or mitigated by the fact that this was a massive new undertaking bound to have some bumps and wrinkles.  But in today's hostile environment, the IRS is to blame.  Those policymakers who hate the ACA hate the IRS for trying to do the job those same policymakers mandated it to do.  Guess their budget will get cut again, making it less likely they can fix the problems and opening them up for a new round of blame next year.

I double checked the notice and they did receive form 1095-A, but not the 1040 or form 8962.  I tried calling the number on the notice and after about an hour on hold the called just dropped :angry: