ATX Community

ACA

Christian

I have a couple who came in this year who have not filed a return since 2009. They have received letters from the Service over that time but no further action was taken by the IRS. Both are employed by the same police department and receive W-2 forms each year. My thought is the Service has taken no action because in looking at their W-2 income they compute a refund for each of the years in which they did not file a return. I am finally giving out my last return or two for this year and it suddenly occurred to me they may be violating the filing requirement imposed by the new ACA which ,of course, indicates a return need be filed to indicate medical insurance coverage. The wife normally handles their tax matters and clearly has no intention of filing a return for 2014. Should I call them and advise them they must file a return or am I reading the ACA requirements wrong and need do nothing ?

Your input will as always be much appreciated.  

In the spirit of CYA, I'd call, or better yet mail or email, with the suggestion and your reason.  It's up to them, but you are showing them that you are looking out for their best interests, either way.  Can't hurt, and might get you some good word of mouth advertising if they tell a friend or two how thoughtful and through you were.   

• Like 1