ATX Community

How to correct corporation tax return filed with wrong tax ID number

I have a situation which I do not know how to handle it. I had a single member Sub Chapter S corporation which started in 2012. I listed the correct tax ID number when I filed his 2553 form but on 1120 S, I did a typographical error in his tax ID number on his 1120 S and the same typographical error in tax ID number also flowed on his Schedule E when I entered his K-1. I rolled over his return and the problem flowed through to his 2013 and 2014 tax return.

The error was discovered when I was doing Retailer Food Stamp application while comparing his sales tax certificate with his corporation tax return.

The tax returns went through OK in ATX Max electronic filing system with both IRS and New York State.

I am confused that if I had wrong ID number in the tax return, how come both IRS system and New York State tax system accepted the return as filed.

Since it is a single member S corporation so the income tax paid is correct.

I do not know how to go about correcting this problem for future filing.

thanks for your help in this matter.

Naveen Mohan

Call the IRS and ask for help, or......

How to Update the Information

There is no form available to update the information, and the IRS asks entities updating their information NOT to submit a second EIN application. Instead, the IRS asks that the entity send a letter, on company letterhead, if available, providing the name and Taxpayer Identification Number of the current principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner, or trustor. Be sure to include the entity’s complete name, EIN, and mailing address so we can correctly identify your IRS account.  Depending upon the entity’s principal business address, the entity should send the letter to the following IRS campus:

If the entity’s principal business, office or agency is located in: 

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia or Wisconsin Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or any place outside of the United States

Send Letter to:

Internal Revenue Service
Stop 343G
Cincinnati, OH 45999
Internal Revenue Service
M/S 6273 
Ogden, UT 84201

Confirmation

The IRS will send a letter confirming our receipt of the updated information.  If the entity has not received the confirmation letter within 60 days, it should mail a copy of the original letter, annotated “Second Request”, to the campus that services the entity’s state.

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Correcting-Business-Information-Where-a-Nominee-Was-Used

• Like 4