ATX Community

DEPRECIATION

TAXMAN

I need a clarification. TP bought truck from leasing co when lease ran out about 20k about 6 years ago. TP did use in business of trucking.  TP never put on depreciation and now sold truck. Truck is one of those tractor trailer trucks.(5 year life for depreciation) Is it possible to pu all that depreciation in 1 year on sch C. Then sell the truck on 4797? Would I have to file the 3115 form as well?

6 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

I need a clarification. TP bought truck from leasing co when lease ran out about 20k about 6 years ago. TP did use in business of trucking.  TP never put on depreciation and now sold truck. Truck is one of those tractor trailer trucks.(5 year life for depreciation) Is it possible to pu all that depreciation in 1 year on sch C. Then sell the truck on 4797? Would I have to file the 3115 form as well?

Brain dead right now, so no cite BUT --- just because you do not use it it year -- you should have --- does NOT make it allowable to use it when you want.   Not allowed.

Them's the rules. Depreciation is taken or assumed taken when it is suppose to be taken. Your over the road truck has a three year depreciable life. If he placed it in service six years ago, you are out of luck. His basis is zero. Hopefully this was not your client six years ago and this can be a teaching moment for you.  And you can show him how tax smart you are. Of course, none of that will lessen the sting. But at least he will respect you.

• Like 4