ATX Community

Efilig with ITIN Number

I am having trouble getting a return efiled which has ITIN number in ATX MAX. . I am getting the message:

Primary SSN and Primary Name Control test in the Return header must match the efile data base.

I have double checked the name spelling and spacing and I am matching exactly as it is appearing in the ITIN card but my return is still getting rejected.

Do I have a way around it or do I tell client to do paper filing?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

You are entering the W-2 as it is, correct?

On the 1040 please use the name and number as it appears on the ITIN letter from the IRS.

Keep in mind that depending on how the IRS interpreted the name, you could have this variation.

It is common for us to have two last names. So with that in mind. Joseph Diaz Balart consists of one first name and two last names. BUT if the person issuing the ITIN used Joseph Diaz as first names, you will get an error if you efile 1040 with the correct last names Diaz Balart. When the IRS makes that mistake, you have to file as Joseph D Balart. Please note that D becomes the middle initial for middle nameless person. You can also file as Joseph Balart without middle initial and you should be OK.

• Like 1

Were you able to solve your issue?

If not, please keep in mind that ITINs without filing subsequent tax returns expire in 5 years. Check with your client if that ITIN was used on a tax return in the last 4 years. If not, you will need to send the return to Texas with W-7 and passport.

• Like 1