ATX Community

deductable mortgage interest

Naila Ahmad

My client owns two houses. none of them is a rental property. My client lives in one house and her parents reside in the other. parents pay the mortgage and property taxes on the house they live in, but the loan is in my clients name and her S.S # is on the 1098 form. My question is , can she take the deduction for mortgage interest and property taxes for both the houses, if yes how she will report this deduction on schedule A. If not, can her parents take this deduction even though their name and S.S # is not on form1098. Any help will be appreciated.

>>the parents gift the amount of the mortgage payments to the child every year<<

A gift is when you don't get anything in return. These folks get housing. You can say the expense offsets the income in this below-market rental, or you can say the taxpayer incurs neither expense nor income, but you can't say he gets the deduction without any income.