ATX Community

Help? Client says his 8962 in incorrect because Nebraska is different than other states

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I am going to scream or cry. I got the return finished and the AGI was $24,492. Client is receiving additional $587 in Net premium tax credit and he says his AGI has to be $28,000 in Nebraska or he has to pay it all back. I don't understand. He is self-employed and I used the expenses that he gave me. If he has to pay it all back, why doesn't the 8962 show it? Am I doing something wrong? Can I not take his self-employed health insurance deduction that he doesn't need anyway? If anyone knows how to help me, please let me know. 

27 minutes ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I am going to scream or cry. I got the return finished and the AGI was $24,492. Client is receiving additional $587 in Net premium tax credit and he says his AGI has to be $28,000 in Nebraska or he has to pay it all back. I don't understand. He is self-employed and I used the expenses that he gave me. If he has to pay it all back, why doesn't the 8962 show it? Am I doing something wrong? Can I not take his self-employed health insurance deduction that he doesn't need anyway? If anyone knows how to help me, please let me know. 

I would be tempted to impolitely fire this guy.  Ask him for the cite in the FEDERAL insurance law that backs up his claim.  No cite, then shut up!!

I still get irritated that us TAX PROFESSIONALS must be enforcers of INSURANCE LAW!!

Rant over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I know. It's because Nebraska didn't expand Medicaid and their AGI has to be above 138% of the poverty level or go on Medicaid.The 8962 didn't compute that way at all and I don't know how to make it not give him back even more money. 

Input the information from the 1095-A as you received it.  If the client says the numbers are incorrect, THEY must go back to the Marketplace to get a corrected 1095.  Any state requirements are handled when the client applies on the marketplace.  If the client input improper information, that is NOT your issue.  We are tax accountants, not insurance agents or enforcers of insurance laws.

• Like 4