ATX Community

AutoHotkey Scripts

Abby Normal

Been meaning to share this for awhile.

I downloaded AutoHotkey and with a lot of help from the internet, was able to create a useful (to me anyway) set of scripts (attached).

The auto-execution section is just something I was told is good form. I have no idea what it does.

The volume controls section turns your Scroll Lock and Pause keys into volume up and volume down. Ctrl+Print Screen = mute. (I can never remember that one!)

CapsLock delay prevents accidentally pressing CapsLock. You have to press CapsLock twice in less than half a second to toggle it on or off.

The CapsLock Smart Shift is the main reason I downloaded AutoHotkey. iT pREVENTS tYPING lIKE tHIS. I work in all caps in ATX and when I need to write an email (or post here) I want to work in mixed case. If CapsLock is on and you press Shift and any letter key, it turns CapsLock off and types the capital letter you wanted. I know my script is inelegant, brute force programming, but it works, and that's all that matters to me.

The last section is all my keystroke saving scripts. I chose the equal sign (=) as my trigger key. So if I type irs= I get Internal Revenue Service. no= November, sa=  Saturday, ssn= Social Security number, etc. Anything I type frequently goes here. You can add whatever you need here.

My favorite one that we use the heck out of in ATX on form 8949, is V= (It's capital V because I work in Caps in ATX). It types VARIOUS in the purchase date column and 123115 in the sold date column and moves me to the next column. It works anywhere you encounter those two columns. I say 'column' because I work in the Detail screen only.

IMPORTANT: Put a shortcut to the AutoHotkey program in your Startup folder so it will start with windows. ("C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"). I keep a shortcut to the Startup folder on my desktop for programs that don't have that option. Then save the file below to My Documents (not in any subfolder).

Happy scripting! And don't say I never gave you anything! :P

AutoHotkey.ahk

• Like 6