ATX Community

EFile ?

Eli

dependent child was born, but died a few minutes later? There is no SSN issued. The couple has the birth certificate, but no SSN. Including the child on the return does not change anything as far refund amount. Would it be best to leave the child off? No one else would be able to claim him w/o a SSN.

Thank you!

Eli

The procedure in a case like this is to enter "DIED" in column 2 of line 6a and attach a copy of the child's birth certificate to the return. I think that the return would have to go in on paper.

If it makes no difference in the return, I'd leave the dependant off, unless the parents insist.

Eli,

According to Kleinrock 1040 Express Answers:

"If a child was born and died during the tax year and no SSN was obtained, then enter "DIED" in column (2) of line 6c next to the child's name and attach a copy of the child's birth certificate. A child born alinve during the year may be claimed as an exemption for the entire year, even if he or she dies during the year. A stillborn child may not be claimed." It might make a difference on the refundable part of child credit, or the stimulus rebate?

Eli,

According to Kleinrock 1040 Express Answers:

"If a child was born and died during the tax year and no SSN was obtained, then enter "DIED" in column (2) of line 6c next to the child's name and attach a copy of the child's birth certificate. A child born alinve during the year may be claimed as an exemption for the entire year, even if he or she dies during the year. A stillborn child may not be claimed." It might make a difference on the refundable part of child credit, or the stimulus rebate?

Thank you both for the replies. I will suggest paper filing for them. The child will probably make a difference on the stimulus rebate.

Thanks again!!

Eli

Thank you both for the replies. I will suggest paper filing for them. The child will probably make a difference on the stimulus rebate.

Thanks again!!

Eli

Ther isn't a choice in this situation. IRS doesn't allow DIED as a substitute for the SSN - another of those pesky efile limitations. And condolences to your clients.