ATX Community

PA Preparers

Lion EA

It's always the freebies that take up so much time.  My son's mother-in-law has a partnership and an S-corporation.  I tried to e-file extensions before midnight.  The S-corp is not in my system, so I'll print out an extension and mail it tomorrow -- now that we have until the 20th for the IRS.  And, even though the partnership is in my software and the 7004 shows up on screen, it doesn't show up as being able to export to e-file -- again not a problem as I can mail by the 20th.

But, what about PA?  Is it too late for PA extensions?  Or, have you heard that they will follow federal.  The businesses are in Starlight, PA, in the upper NE corner and got over two feet of snow, and I'm in CT and got over a foot topped off with a lot of ice.

The PA partnership extension showed as if I could e-file, but was all grayed-out when actually trying to e-file.  On paper, it needs a signature, not likely from CT to PA by the 20th, if PA accepts the 20th.  And, the PA S-corp extension wasn't getting typed into my software by midnight after I spent too much time hassling with the partnership.

Does PA require extensions if federal extensions are filed?

If PA is giving until the 20th also, are signatures required?

I have too many relatives!

Use Form 276 to extend S Corps and Partnerships in PA.  PA does not accept the federal extension but it does, however, need to be attached to the PA return when filed - either as a pdf if e-filing or attached to the paper return.  The GOOD NEWS for you - the PA return is not due until mid-April.  So you have plenty of time to get this worked out.  And yes, the PA extension requires a signature.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I thought about the deadline again while I didn't sleep the short time I spent in bed.  I was hoping the PA partnership did not follow the federal and remained at 15 April.  But, is the PA S-corporation 15 April, also?

I did come up with Form 276 on the PA site for both types of returns (all types of returns?) all with a Harrisburg address.  (Hubby grew up in Harrisburg.)

So, do I really have until 15 April for both PA partnerships and S-corporations?

Yes - well kinda - PA is following the federal dates this year (not always, but this year for sure) and the filing dead line is April 18th.  And that is true for both the PA 65 and the PA 20S.  The reason you see all of those forms on the 276 is that they are all individual or pass through entities. In PA, those are all handled by the individual tax department.  If you had a C Corp, you would use Form 853.

• Like 1

You're the best.  In my blurry-eyed, sleepy state last night (well, really early morning) I wasn't finding deadlines and panicked.  Thanks for calming me down with the facts.  (Just coming off a binge of 1065s and 1120Ss to meet the new federal 15 March deadline has me not seeing straight, not walking straight.  Time to dive into the 1040s.)

• Like 1