ATX Community

Feeling responsible for elderly client

SaraEA

If they have the funds available, I often suggest to my elderly clients that they make one ES payment for the year and get it over with.  That way they don't have to remember IRS's odd quarterly dates.  Almost all of them love the idea.

• Like 3

I also have some older folks who prefer the single payment.  But then I also get the calls in June, September, and December, asking if they have to send more money.  I need to keep careful notes of who does what so I don't mis-advise them all...

And there is an older couple that I worry about quite a bit.  She has been fighting some odd type of cancer for some years.  It's not curable, but it is treatable and they are managing to keep it in check.  Every time chemo-latest stops working, they have (so far!) just come up with chemo-next.  He has been taking care of her.  But he also a bad fall a couple of years ago on an escalator and ended up with trauma-induced dementia which is worsening.  Between the two of them, they make *one* fully functioning individual.  It's really sad to see, and I worry about them.  One loser son who would cheerfully rob them blind.  One good son who lives far away.  One excellent grandson (loser's boy) who has all the maturity (at 21-ish) that his father completely lacks - but who is also not that nearby, working (finished college early), and engaged, so a bit distracted with his own life.

• Like 2