ATX Community

enron worthless securities in 2007?

schirallicpa

I have an older couple that did not report Enron worthless stock in 02 or 03 when it went worthless. Can it be taken now? Don't tell me I have to go back and amend and carryforward and amend and carryforward and amend.......

Any thoughts on this today?

Depending on what the judge in the case does, what the final order looks like, and some other particulars, press reports (eg. http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/S...0News/1156587/) suggest the shareholders may be getting $6.79/share. I know that would be a pretty big loss for many, but IRS might say the stock isn't worthless, yet, or hasn't been right along. Another example of the grief that keeps on giving.

"Sit tight" might be the best strategy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an older couple that did not report Enron worthless stock in 02 or 03 when it went worthless. Can it be taken now? Don't tell me I have to go back and amend and carryforward and amend and carryforward and amend.......

Any thoughts on this today?

I have a client who also has enron stock that he inherited in 2000. Has anyone on the board handled this in the past? Year it became worthless? Thanks in advance!

I have had this discussion with two clients this year, plus I got burned on a bond, and we are waiting until the final decree before taking off anything that was not already dumped. The IRS already has questioned an earlier writeoff, but we weathered the storm and it was not a lot of money.