ATX Community

tax software program

linkaccounting

I switched to them this year. They use Orrtax's Intellitax and it IS forms based. The price is excellent and it includes e-file and all the states and business returns. It is not as complete / automated as ATX but I couldn't beat the price. You just need to make sure you are comfortable checking to make sure all the data flows to all the places you expect it to.

Input is similar to ATX except instead on clicking on a bunny to drill down, you click on a plus sign. One feature I do like is inputting addresses. It skips over the city & state fields and takes you to the zip code. When you put in the zip, it fills in the city, state and county for you.

For many of the text inputs, it limits the number of characters even if there is room for them to print. Also it saves the files by the SSN, so you can't have more than one return per social. You can't do "what ifs" without overwriting your current return (and remembering to not save it). If you do an amendment you can't save your pre-amendment version. Also it doesn't include certain elections such as for vehicle like kind exchanges. You have to include it on a preparers notes page. Another minor drawback is that you can't put in your own info in the return manager.

I used ATX from 1999 - 2006. I changed mainly because of the increase in price for the 1040 with e-file. I have a small practice so that was a significant price increase for me. After reading the comments on this board I do not regret my decision to change.

Another note. When you buy, they send you the previous few years software to evaluate. These previous versions are not compatible with Vista. 2007 is the first version that is.

I had to wait on hold for a while at the start of the season - maybe 15 minutes to 1/2 hour. Now usually no wait time. They have separate phone menu selections for "software support" and "tax support." I found out the software support is just installation and that kind of thing. If you want to know how to do something in the software, that is "tax support." I've had mostly good response for support, but sometimes have gotten people that don't know what's going on. I guess that's true everywhere. Usually if the person doesn't know they will get you in contact with someone who does. They do tend to call back pretty quickly. Depending on the question, they can also transfer you to a CPA or to someone at OrrTax. Yes, they will answer tax law questions at no extra charge. (I haven't used that yet - I like this board for tax questions.)

Overall, I would say service is pretty good, although I would not say perfect.