ATX Community

MA return

joanmcq

Ok, got an MA return, paper filing because I'm not sure if out of state preparers can efile and there's been so many problems with MA efiles. got a Schedule INC with the W-2 info on it. Do I still have to attach a paper W-2? If so, where? The instructions keep saying not attaching one 'if necessary' is a 'frequent error' but I can't find out 1. when one is necessary, and 2. where to put it.

I know where I'd like to put it....

Ok, got an MA return, paper filing because I'm not sure if out of state preparers can efile and there's been so many problems with MA efiles. got a Schedule INC with the W-2 info on it. Do I still have to attach a paper W-2? If so, where? The instructions keep saying not attaching one 'if necessary' is a 'frequent error' but I can't find out 1. when one is necessary, and 2. where to put it.

"Schedule INC

As many Schedule INC per Return Filing as needed. Schedule INC contains select W-2 and 1099 taxpayer and spouse data; there is no requirement that the paper versions of these forms be attached to the taxpayer’s return. It replaces up to 20 forms W-2, W-2G, 1099R, 1099MISC or 1099G; the taxpayer is to retain those forms for 3 years.

All W-2 and 1099 earnings must be reported on Schedule INC. This schedule MUST be included with the return. Failure to submit Schedule INC WILL delay any applicable refund, as the return will be considered incomplete. Multiple Schedule INC may be submitted as needed."

You and others... <grin>

In addition to the Sch INC (included in ATX when you do the return), when I paper-file a Mass. return, I also _include_ the W-2. However, you _don't_ attach it! Mass returns are scanned and machine-read (all that fancy coding on the top is the actual return info; the stuff on the lines down below is just so you can see the data is OK). The only thing people do is check the bottom of the first page for signature - then off to the machines. So likewise, do NOT staple the paper return together.

Any paper enclosures (and sometimes you have to send them) go _on top of_ the return _loose_. I usually put a blank cover page and then paper-clip the whole thing together.

Catherine