ATX Community

MA 1-NR/PY reject error FNRPY-0075 - Say what?!

TaxCPANY

MA just rejected nonresident e-file, that ATX translates with its usual obtuseness -- as attached.  Form MA 1-NR/PY has changed between 2016 and 2017; so following last year's lead (I've been filing this client's return for 20+ years) is futile this time 'round.  I'm reasonably confident my input is in compliance.
Background:  Client's 100%-owned, non-MA S corporation supplies a MA SK-1 reporting ordinary income, separately-stated deductions, non-MA interest, long-term capital gain (and distributions which have no tax effect).
Has anyone here encountered this error? 

MA interest reject.PNG

I don't use ATX any more so if it's ATX specific I can't help.  However, it looks like you are only reporting the MA corporation amounts and not total-from-everywhere amounts of interest and dividends.  MA doesn't accept that.  You have to report ALL income, and then you get a percentage of deductions based on how much total income is from MA.  

So I'd check to see why the discrepancy between total and MA int/div amounts.  See if fixing that makes your problem go poof.

Thank you, Catherine.  I've re-, re-, re-reconciled the amounts from SK-1 to the 1-NR/PY input and simply cannot find a discrepancy.  I.e., 1-NR/PY's Line 9 equals the Schedule E line 58, whose lines 28 - 31 faithfully reproduce the SK-1.  Net result line (32 and 35, with no tinkering, flowed into) 55; line 56 is adjusted with a statement to tie exactly to SK-1's line 3.
Then I use 1-NR/PY's line 14e worksheet to tie to SK-1's lines 9 and 17 (other interest and dividend income, and net long-term capital gain).  ATX has always confused things at this stage, flowing non-ordinary income to 1-NR-PY's line 14c, not separately to both lines 14b and 14c.  Hadn't mattered in *all* years before this; but, yes, as 14b is labeled Interest income, perhaps that's what's caused FNRPY-0075.  However, what actually feeds 14b appears to be only aggregate flow-through income on line 9, page 2 -- but that should be only ordinary income, yes?  (Jump-to also ties to page 1 but no line there -- and what for, anyway?)
Oh, and, yes:  MA's Schedule B amounts DO tie to the 1040; so that its line 9 matches 1-NR/PY's line 14c.
Does that sound like I've made ATX obey MA's forms?  I really appreciate your response, and hope I'm not abusing your solicitude with this rejoinder.  Kurt

• Like 1

At this point you'll need to call tech support.  I haven't used ATX in years and no longer know the ins and outs of the software.  This definitely sounds like a software issue.  

Alternative:  mail it in.  Tell the client it's a quirk with MA this year (which it may well be, frankly).