ATX Community

DE DOR tech memo re: itemizing and SALT limit

jklcpa

There are a couple of preparers here that handle DE returns, so I'm sharing this technical information memorandum that was issued today on how DE expects reporting of itemized deductions as it relates to the $5,000/$10,000 SALT limitation and the reduction on line 47.  This is NOT being handled similar to the Pease limitation was in the past, and this memorandum has numerous helpful examples.  This is also being sent by DE DOR to the software vendors.

I couldn't find a direct link on the DE DOR website yet, so I printed to pdf and am sharing here in that format.

tim_2019-1_v._3_-_itemized_deduction_limitation_of_10_000_for_salt_paid.pdf

• Thanks 1

Oregon, like Delaware,  has allowed  filers to itemize on the state return, while taking the standard deduction on their federal return.

Since Oregon's standard deduction amounts are fairly low, itemizing only on the state return is fairly common.

Oregon created a Schedule A and released it along with instructions in early January.

With respect to the deduction of paid taxes, it seems to function just like Delaware.

• Thanks 1