ATX Community

State refund

L.S.

Got a notice from IRS re: 2005 federal tax return. It states since we claimed state taxes when we itemized deductions on the 2004 tax return, we must report any refund on the 05 tax return. I completed the worksheet for refunds of amounts deducted in 04 - Line 1 shows our refund of $282 and then for line 2 it says if sales taxes were deducted in 04, enter 0. We did use the sales tax deduction on Line 5 of Sch A. So the worksheet comes out that taxable part of our refund is 0. Am I doing this correctly? Is IRS wrong?

Thanks for your help.

I would say you are correct. If you deducted sales tax, you did not take state income tax. The federal is looking for state income tax refund that could be taxable. I have many clienta who use sales tax instead of income tax. Using sales tax would be like not using sch A and getting a refund from state, whether the refund is small or large it is not taxable to the fed. No deduction not taxable.