ATX Community

quick question and it is simple for you

helow

TP uses 2 vehicles for business (80% each for delivering computers.) TP wants to use the std mileage rate. My question is if this option is used will TP loose the ability to claim other expenses such as depreciation. My other question is, where do you enter interest paid on the vehicles. Line 9e of the vehicle expenses tab of the sh-C is not active.

Thanks

Jeff

TP uses 2 vehicles for business (80% each for delivering computers.) TP wants to use the std mileage rate. My question is if this option is used will TP loose the ability to claim other expenses such as depreciation. My other question is, where do you enter interest paid on the vehicles. Line 9e of the vehicle expenses tab of the sh-C is not active.

Thanks

Jeff

You take mileage or actual expenses which include depreciation and interest.

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff, you enter interest expense on Line 6c of the Vehicle worksheet.

Yes, you use either: 1) standard mileage rate and interest expense, or 2) depreciation and actual expenses, including interest expense. Either way, they have to keep up with mileage figures. If this is the first year of business use, and you elect to use standard mileage rate, you can switch to depreciation in future years. I never tell clients this. It's messy to me; you have to adjust for the depreciation factor that is included in the SMR. So, I just make them pick one and stick with it.