ATX Community

Just Curious

JohnH

Does anyone know the name of the genius who decided long ago that a W-2 or a 1099-R has a "Copy B" for the Fed return, a "Copy 2" for the state return, and a "Copy C" for the taxpayer, but if they receive a 1099-G for unemployment benefits, the "Copy A" is for the Fed return, the "Copy C" is for the state return, and the "Copy B" is for the taxpayer?

This burning question has always intrigued me.

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they devised this scheme.

Does anyone know the name of the genius who decided long ago that a W-2 or a 1099-R has a "Copy B" for the Fed return, a "Copy 2" for the state return, and a "Copy C" for the taxpayer, but if they receive a 1099-G for unemployment benefits, the "Copy A" is for the Fed return, the "Copy C" is for the state return, and the "Copy B" is for the taxpayer?

This burning question has always intrigued me.

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they devised this scheme.

As my friend, the lady who works at the local IRS Tax Administration Office, always says; "It was the result of a three coctail lunch." This is also her "take" on the Economic Stimulus Package"!

Well at least you get add'l copies of the 1099-G. In FL, we only get one, so if there's withholding I have to make a copy to return to the client.

My clerk also wonders why there are different formats for W2s, 1099s. Why can't those be uniform?

As I have started saying, that is the inefficiency of government.