ATX Community

More E-Mail Scams

redux

IR-2007-109, May 31, 2007

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today alerted taxpayers to the latest versions of an e-mail scam intended to fool people into believing they are under investigation by the agency’s Criminal Investigation division.

The e-mail purporting to be from IRS Criminal Investigation falsely states that the person is under a criminal probe for submitting a false tax return to the California Franchise Tax Board. The e-mail seeks to entice people to click on a link or open an attachment to learn more information about the complaint against them. The IRS warned people that the e-mail link and attachment is a Trojan Horse that can take over the person’s computer hard drive and allow someone to have remote access to the computer.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=170894,00.html

Whoever is greedy enough to believe that there are companies giving away money will fall for these scams. I feel sorry when my own bank calls me to offer me legit offers... my reply is "if I need additional services from your bank, I will initiate the communication... no matter how good your offer is, I have to hang up now." Also, when I see on the mail an envelope that reads that there is money waiting for me... I cut it in 100 pieces without reading it. I do the same for emails (do you believe me?). My point is that everyone is after your money and no one is giving away money. If you work, you have money... if not, you don't.

Y'know I did get a letter once telling me how they could help me get funds in the state dormant fund account. Turns out a retirement account with the state that I kept forgetting to send change of addresses for had been turned over. How nice of them to inform me of money I had waiting....not that I needed their services to get it.