ATX Community

Stipend while studying abroad...

Lion EA

College student received a $420 stipend, no Form 1099, from the US Department of State as a Critical Language Scholar abroad for a few months, diplomacy and all that. Their tuition and housing and everything was paid for by the federal program. The $420 stipend was to help with food. There's a list of things they can NOT spend it on, such as gifts or upgraded food. Taxable or not? Other Income? 

If taxable, in which state? CT resident. Attends college in NYS. But, not a Colgate program but a US program to send him overseas to interact with the people.

As I understood it a stipend like that is income not subject to SS or MEDA and is taxed on the residency state. When I had one I listed it as "Other income".

Fulbright grants are considered taxable also but no tax forms are required. I never understand how that happens, the IRS declares something income but the IRS doesn't require reporting of it.

Thank you, Roberts. I've been seeing things that suggest "Other income" without SS or MEDA. I wasn't seeing much guidance on the state, so was leaning to resident state. I will follow your lead.

The government doesn't have to follow their own rules! They have specific requirement for 1099s, but the Social Security form is the worst size, worst layout, thicker paper, and that rubber cement that sticks to everything...

• Like 2