ATX Community

BIG W-2 box 32

Pacun

I have a W-2 from the Postal office with entries on box 32. TP is a rural mail man and purchased a jeep and moved the direction wheel to the right. TP is getting his last pay check stub and I will check if what he got reimbursed for miles, is added back to box 1. In any event, can any one tell me how the postal office does its calculation?

Can I depreciate his jeep?

Any information about this will be appreciated.

I have a W-2 from the Postal office with entries on box 32. TP is a rural mail man and purchased a jeep and moved the direction wheel to the right. TP is getting his last pay check stub and I will check if what he got reimbursed for miles, is added back to box 1. In any event, can any one tell me how the postal office does its calculation?

Can I depreciate his jeep?

Any information about this will be appreciated.

There is some info. on page 177 of pub. 17 for rural mail carriers, also instructions for form 2106. I'm not sure what is in box 32, is it 'qualified reimbursement'? If so, it should be set up like an accountable plan, and therefore not included in wages on the W-2. If his actual vehicle expenses are more than the qualified reimbursement, then the total expenses go on form 2106, and also the reimbursement. If the actual expenses are less than or equal to the qualified reimbursement, do nothing. Rural mail carriers cannot use the standard mileage rate.

There is some info. on page 177 of pub. 17 for rural mail carriers, also instructions for form 2106. I'm not sure what is in box 32, is it 'qualified reimbursement'? If so, it should be set up like an accountable plan, and therefore not included in wages on the W-2. If his actual vehicle expenses are more than the qualified reimbursement, then the total expenses go on form 2106, and also the reimbursement. If the actual expenses are less than or equal to the qualified reimbursement, do nothing. Rural mail carriers cannot use the standard mileage rate.

Thank you Linda. I am reviewing the information and hope some one else replies to my question.