ATX Community

Another stimulus payment question

cientax

I'm not very clear on this about ITINs on the return. I have a married couple and three qualifying children all have valid SSNs. But they also claim a parent that has an ITIN on the return. I know that the parent isn't a qualifying child. My question is, will having a DEPENDENT on the return with an ITIN have an effect the payment to the couple filing the return?

Hope I'm asking this where you can understand what I'm talking about!

I'm not very clear on this about ITINs on the return. I have a married couple and three qualifying children all have valid SSNs. But they also claim a parent that has an ITIN on the return. I know that the parent isn't a qualifying child. My question is, will having a DEPENDENT on the return with an ITIN have an effect the payment to the couple filing the return?

Hope I'm asking this where you can understand what I'm talking about!

The additional for the parents is only for Qualifying Children

<<Additional Payments for Parents and Others with Qualifying Children

Parents and anyone else eligible for a stimulus payment will also receive an additional $300 for each qualifying child. To qualify, a child must be eligible under the Child Tax Credit and have a valid Social Security number.>>

Additionally, anyone who is claimed as a dependent will not receive the stimulus rebate.

<<Exclusions

Individuals who file Form 1040NR, 1040PR or 1040SS are not eligible for the stimulus payments. These returns are normally filed by Nonresident Aliens, residents of Puerto Rico and residents of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). Residents of U.S. possessions will be receiving their rebates directly from the possessions.

Also ineligible are individuals who can be claimed as dependents on someone else’s return.>>

The additional for the parents is only for Qualifying Children

<<Additional Payments for Parents and Others with Qualifying Children

Parents and anyone else eligible for a stimulus payment will also receive an additional $300 for each qualifying child. To qualify, a child must be eligible under the Child Tax Credit and have a valid Social Security number.>>

Additionally, anyone who is claimed as a dependent will not receive the stimulus rebate.

<<Exclusions

Individuals who file Form 1040NR, 1040PR or 1040SS are not eligible for the stimulus payments. These returns are normally filed by Nonresident Aliens, residents of Puerto Rico and residents of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). Residents of U.S. possessions will be receiving their rebates directly from the possessions.

Also ineligible are individuals who can be claimed as dependents on someone else’s return.>>

Nice conclusion but I still didn't understand.

Cientax... It is my understanding that as long as both TPs have valid social security, file 1040, etc., they will get the stimulus refund and they also will get $300 per head on the dependents that qualify. In this case, it is my understanding that TPs will get $600-$1200 for themselves and they will get $900 for the 3 children if they were under 17 on DECEMBER 31, 2007. Am I correct?

Nice conclusion but I still didn't understand.

Cientax... It is my understanding that as long as both TPs have valid social security, file 1040, etc., they will get the stimulus refund and they also will get $300 per head on the dependents that qualify. In this case, it is my understanding that TPs will get $600-$1200 for themselves and they will get $900 for the 3 children if they were under 17 on DECEMBER 31, 2007. Am I correct?

Pacun, you are correct on the amounts and ages. The way I was reading the information at the IRS web site, I was understanding that if there were any ITINs on the return, that there would be no stimulus payment at all. I guess I just misunderstood.