ATX Community

Client got scammed.

taxdan

Client gave $10,000 to an individual claiming to be part of a company called Network Group. It was supposed to be an investment in a piece of real estate. Individual took the money and ran. Client feels really stupid. Can the client deduct this as a capital loss on Sch D? I would imagine he would need some sort of proof that he attempted to get his money back.

Any advice is appreciated!

Did the client file a police report or write to the state regulatory authorities or BBB concerning the scam? Does the client have any news articles or other third-party info to support the worthlessness of the investment? How about mail sent to the scam artist that has been returned undelivered? There must be some evidence that the person who took the money is no longer reachable.

I'd assume the return is going to be audited and document the file accordingly, although I've done several of these for this much money or more and never heard a word from IRS about them. Part of what you are doing is making sure that you are not being scammed by the client.

If your client contacted an attorney have the client, if possible, get a letter from the attorney stating that it would cost more to try and collect the $10,000 then it is worth.

For a theft deduction you only need to prove 1. the amount of the loss, 2. that the loss was a crime under local law, 3. and the chance you collecting is almost nil.

Thanks for the advice. I will ask all of those questions and more and if I don't feel the client has taken the proper steps to retrieve his money, I will leave it alone. Otherwise I will file it as a capital loss.

Would this not require a Casualty Loss, Form 4684? I don't think you can just report it on Schedule D only.