ATX Community

CA FTB3853

currie

This form is used when clients did not have health insurance coverage for the entire year, but did have it some of the months.  Once you fill out this form you have the correct refund or balance due for the return.  THE PROBLEM is when you check your return you will get an error message stating you need to check the box showing client had health coverage ALL YEAR.  This is on page 3, question 92 of form CA540. Keep in mind form FTB3853 has already been completed.  If you check the box the return then becomes WRONG because client did not have coverage ALL YEAR.  I spoke with tech support today and they say it is because California has not completed doing updates as of now.  Just sending this message so you do not have to wait on the phone for 30 minutes or more.

• Thanks 2

• currie changed the title to CA FTB3853
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, LOUSTAXES said:

I'm having issues with this form as well. I have clients that fall under the filing threshold. They should not be penalized, yet the form still calculates a penalty.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yes.  When you check the box in Part II per the instructions (for under the filing threshold) the form goes bezerk and it gives red errors telling you to call support.    Since we know that the taxpayer is exempt from penalty we checked the box for full year coverage and filed the return.   We will call support on Monday to report this issue.

Tom
Modesto, CA

@currie Call support to report the issue and use the suggestion box too, if ATX still has that available.

I've deleted your two other duplicate posts from today.

Also, please be aware that posts that include commentary on the political climate will be deleted. You agreed to that as part of the TOU when you created a member account for this forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

My spouse was able to figure out how to make the form work when the filing requirement was below the filing threshold.    If the taxpayer did not have insurance and they are under the filing threshold, DON'T check the box on the bottom of page 1 on the form.   Hit the green arrow and jump to the worksheet, Go to Step 4 and fill in line 2.    That will check the box for you and not give you all those red errors.

Tom
Modesto, CA