ATX Community

What to do ? H of H status

Nighthawk

A mother has a 30 yr old son living with her all year.

He likes those funny cigs, etc.

I asked her how much income he had for all of 2007.

She said he works for cash only sometimes, and doesn't file any taxes.

He meets all tests for qualifying relative for dependency and her for status to be HofH

but.....she told me too much.

What would you do in this situation?

He meets all tests for qualifying relative for dependency and her for status to be HofH

but.....she told me too much.

What would you do in this situation?

If he meets ALL requirements then go ahead. You didn't include how much income the son earned. I take it that this is the "told me too much' part?? If he made more than the exemption amount then he would not qualify as her dependent. This is simple. Do what is RIGHT!!

Eli

>>.....she told me too much<<

I guess you need to brush up on your interview technique. You should have seen it coming and taken control. Well, too late now. You know what you know.

Now that she knows the answer, she might take her papers to someone else. Try to keep her long enough to collect your fee, by explaining how complicated life could be for her if she files a false return and one of his jobs has issued a 1099 or his man gets busted or something. It really is best to not get tangled up in his web any more than necessary. Let him take care of his own taxes, period.

Your only hope is to have the kid come to your office and file for him. If his income permits, she will qualify for HH, if not, she won't. Make sure you have him sign a clause stating "this is all the income received in 2007".

Keep in mind that only the tax payer is the one who knows how much he/she made. Also, you are required to get the information from the taxpayer NOT from parents, specially when you are not talking about a little kid.

>>have the kid come to your office and file for him. If his income permits, she will qualify for HH<<

No can do. Even if you could get the miscreant into your office, you could not use information from his confidential interview in another taxpayer's return. The mother has to provide the information, which she has already done.