ATX Community

Storm Shutters

MargaretMort

I have a client who has a rental house. This past year he bought storm shutters for the house--we live near the Gulf Coast in FL. These ran in the neighborhood of $1200. The shutters are not permanently installed on the house, put up and taken down as needed in the event of a hurricane. For some reason I can't decide if I should depreciate the cost or not. What say you?

Thanks

I have a client who has a rental house. This past year he bought storm shutters for the house--we live near the Gulf Coast in FL. These ran in the neighborhood of $1200. The shutters are not permanently installed on the house, put up and taken down as needed in the event of a hurricane. For some reason I can't decide if I should depreciate the cost or not. What say you?

Thanks

To me, they do not seem to be a permanant improvement like a roof or windows, so I would expense as opposed to depreciate

...but then I also jumped from a roof to see if the umbrella would slow my descent.

Margaret,

It is a "FRIKKIN" banana not a "fricking" banana. I refer you to the thread on 1/29, and especially the post by Jainen about the history of Phrygen banana wars. If this was simply a spelling mistake, I will excuse your typing. Otherwise, please keep up with the terminology used on this board so as not to offend other posters who might not understand your incorrect usage of a very important tax term.

(If you are offended by this post, you must not be able to see the tongue firmly planted in my cheek.) ;o)

Tom

Lodi, CA

This is not a vacation house, full-time rental. It didn't seem like an improvement to me but I am questioning all my thoughts now. My first instinct was to expense the entire cost. Probably will go that way. Thanks. Oh, and JB, please use a parachute so you don't squash the fricking banana.

Don't be silly Margaret.....Parachuting with a Frikkin banana is not only dangerous, but also illegal in most states...unless of course, you have a frikkin banana parachute license.