ATX Community

1041 AND DNI

TAXMAN

I have an estate(not required to distribute income) with interest rec 7k and capital gain of 2k. Distributed 40k to heirs. The program is passing out the int to heirs(on K-1) and taxing the estate on the 2k. First can the estate retain the cg and owe no tax or does that cg also have to go to the heirs? The question page 2 ask "any other amounts paid out". I do not believe I can ignore the distribution. What do you think?

You'll have to look at state law on this, but generally cap gains remain in the estate until the final year. The estate tax rate on $2k cap gains in zero percent, so the estate lucks out.  The distribution over and above the interest income is considered to come from corpus.  Put it on the return but there is no tax consequence to the beneficiaries. (They will owe tax on their share of the interest.)  Did the estate have any expenses (attorney, accountant, probate fees)?  This will reduce the interest distributed to them.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

First can the estate retain the cg and owe no tax or does that cg also have to go to the heirs

16 hours ago, grandmabee said:

Is it a final return?  if not I believe the CG on taxed on the 1041.

That is true.

Assume you had capital gains after stepped up basis.