ATX Community

How reasonable is Arizona?

Catherine

Client owed AZ tax; approved an e-pay debit of part of the tax owed; they planned to pay the balance a paycheck or two after payment to their resident state cleared. 

Arizona, however, debited the full amount of tax - leaving the clients up the creek for their resident state, plus quite a few other bills. What they want is to have a return of the debit in excess of what was authorized, and they will pay the tax (including late payment interest/penalties) on their original schedule.

How likely is Arizona to be reasonable about this?  Frankly, by taking more than was authorized, to my mind it's theft.  For all they knew, the balance was coming by check from a different account, or online credit card payment, or via an installment payment request by mail.

By the time it’s resolved, your client will probably have starved to death. These are the steps I suggest, but it’s been awhile

1.  Call collections 602 542 5551.  They will be no help at all except perhaps if your client cries and begs.  I’m not kidding.

2.  If no help from Collections, Call Problem Resolution Office. 602 716 6025. [email protected]. I have found them to be responsive and helpful. 

3.  Last resort is the Arizona Omnibudsman office where a complaint can be filed azoca.gov

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1