ATX Community

NJ 104 for Part Year Resident

joelgilb

Have a NJ 1040 to prepare and need to allocate the interest income between IL and NJ for the period the taxpayer lived in each State.

Having been on hold with ATX support for 40 minutes and then told the following 3 wrong answers over another 20 minutes:

1. The whole amount is taxed to NJ - NOT needs to be prorated based on # days lived in NJ

2. Use the NJ 1040 Nonresident forms. - NOT this is for non residents only, my client is a resident of NJ

3, Use the the credit on line 39 which has a sub-schedule A to calculate same. Not, this only applies when the taxpayer is a full year resident and has income taxed by another State.

So, I am now doing what I should have done all along, asking the "Unnofficial" community. Is there some form or schedule available in ATX to allow me to allocate or do I have to override and allocate manually (also can do a itemized list this way)?

Have a NJ 1040 to prepare and need to allocate the interest income between IL and NJ for the period the taxpayer lived in each State.

Having been on hold with ATX support for 40 minutes and then told the following 3 wrong answers over another 20 minutes:

1. The whole amount is taxed to NJ - NOT needs to be prorated based on # days lived in NJ

2. Use the NJ 1040 Nonresident forms. - NOT this is for non residents only, my client is a resident of NJ

3, Use the the credit on line 39 which has a sub-schedule A to calculate same. Not, this only applies when the taxpayer is a full year resident and has income taxed by another State.

So, I am now doing what I should have done all along, asking the "Unnofficial" community. Is there some form or schedule available in ATX to allow me to allocate or do I have to override and allocate manually (also can do a itemized list this way)?

Are you using 1040NR..?

Please use 1040NR and enter in COL B income from NJ Source.

Are you using 1040NR..?

Please use 1040NR and enter in COL B income from NJ Source.

The instructions on both th NJ 1040 NR and the NJ 1040 say to use the NJ 1040.

Are you sure I should be using the 1040NR. Looks to me like this is Non-Resident only. He is now a NJ Resident, having moved there from IL

The instructions on both th NJ 1040 NR and the NJ 1040 say to use the NJ 1040.

Are you sure I should be using the 1040NR. Looks to me like this is Non-Resident only. He is now a NJ Resident, having moved there from IL

ON 1040NR, Use data TAB where you can put date of NJ residency.

Use NJ 1040 p 2 under name there is a place for residency for part year residents. The interest if it is saving account, cd, checking account I would go back to see when the interest was posted and use that state residency. If there is a lot of different accounts, I would prorate based on the period of residency in each state.

Use NJ 1040 p 2 under name there is a place for residency for part year residents. The interest if it is saving account, cd, checking account I would go back to see when the interest was posted and use that state residency. If there is a lot of different accounts, I would prorate based on the period of residency in each state.

I know I have to prorate, and I know that it it is on page 2 of the NJ 1040 where I have to somehow adjust the interest amount, but I am wondering if there is a schedule, or I have to override the line for interest, which is currently pulling from the 1099 input. Guess I just find it hard to believe there is no schedule to do the proration and that I am required to MANUALLY override to get the correct answer. Figured the software would have something to handle it.

At this point I have done an override and created an itemized list to detail the proration.