ATX Community

How to file

Sandy

Question:

I have a client that has asked me to file taxes for the past 5 years (2003.2004.2005.2006 &2007) but the problem is that his wife passed away in 2004. How do I file 2003 when his wife was still living that year???? I guess he flipped out after his wife died and just didn't care aboit filing taxes. Can anyone help???

Sandy

Shouldn't he be able to file a joint return for 2003 and 2004? Then, depending on dependents (is that redundant?) he could be surviving spouse for 2005 and 2006, else head of household or single.

Filing as a surviving spouse is a joint return, And yes the can file as "Joint as surviving spouse" for 2003 and 2004.

As to the other years, this was not a question and there is no information to answer it. We have no idea of age, dependents etc.

Sorry, Joel. When you said surviving spouse I incorrectly assumed you meant qualified widow(er). Yes, he would file a joint return and sign it as surviving spouse. I hope I clearly qualified my response regarding future years as depending on whether he had dependent children, their ages, etc.

Sorry, Joel. When you said surviving spouse I incorrectly assumed you meant qualified widow(er). Yes, he would file a joint return and sign it as surviving spouse. I hope I clearly qualified my response regarding future years as depending on whether he had dependent children, their ages, etc.

Your answer was a good one and definately added info for the other years. I trust he will understand us all.

Yea Right, like anone can understand us? Hah!