ATX Community

What does one have to do to get another to play with you?

Elrod

I was at my grandparent's farm (as a youth) and they had a rental home on the property. I'm sitting on the tailgate of the truck playing with a cat, their black lab is sleeping on the porch and another cat jumps up onto the porch with a dead mouse. The cat is playing with it, tossing it up into the air, rolling around with it, pouncing on it. Black lab gets up, walks over and eats the mouse. The cat is POed as the lab gives it a look as it lays back down. Lesson of the day is don't tick off a sleeping dog during his nap. Greatest days of my life were on that farm.

• Like 6

On 11/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, mcbreck said:

I was at my grandparent's farm (as a youth) and they had a rental home on the property. I'm sitting on the tailgate of the truck playing with a cat, their black lab is sleeping on the porch and another cat jumps up onto the porch with a dead mouse. The cat is playing with it, tossing it up into the air, rolling around with it, pouncing on it. Black lab gets up, walks over and eats the mouse. The cat is POed as the lab gives it a look as it lays back down. Lesson of the day is don't tick off a sleeping dog during his nap. Greatest days of my life were on that farm.

Of course, those were the Greatest days of your life ~ mine too.  I noticed you're in MO. We're both "Show Me" people.  I was born on a MO farm & experienced like kind incidents. Our barn cat, Bimbo loved popcorn & would be @ back door before it finished popping. 

We know the catch our cats bring us are not for the dog to eat, they're "I love you ~ praise me" trophies. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jbelle said:

Of course, those were the Greatest days of your life ~ mine too.  I noticed you're in MO. We're both "Show Me" people.  I was born on a MO farm & experienced like kind incidents. Our barn cat, Bimbo loved popcorn & would be @ back door before it finished popping. 

We know the catch our cats bring us are not for the dog to eat, they're "I love you ~ praise me" trophies. 

Sister in law and BIL have a 7 acre place with 2 barn cats, a freakishly awesome dog, 2 horses, miniature donkey, 3-4 cows and multiple chickens. It's a joy visiting their home and I keep a bag of biscuits in my car just for their dog. They enjoy visiting us in the city also - see it as a big vacation.

I live in the city and owned an 1870's home with this wild skylight on the third floor that shined down onto the main floor. I had a cat who would bring me those "praise me" trophies and the birds would fly around leaving blood on my third floor walls.

• Like 2