ATX Community

Household Employee

Dave T

Newer (2021) client gets married in 2022 and wife begins working as a nanny in latter part of 2022. She earns $ 2,000 and does not receive a W2

I know I can record the income on line 1b as Household Employee but am wondering about the tax  component. Since no taxes were withheld ( paid in cash) does she need to record the income on Sch C and pay S/E tax? 

Thank you

Dave T

52 minutes ago, cbslee said:

The OP implies that working as a nanny began in late 2022 and continued into 2023.

In which case I would put the $2,000 on Schedule C. 

I was not aware that $2,000 could be excluded from SE Tax?

There is a threshold for paying and withholding FICA/mc for household employees.

If she is under that threshold then why subject her to SE tax unless she choses to?

3 hours ago, cbslee said:

Note: If the taxpayer paid more than $1,000 in any calendar quarter, then they are required to file Schedule H and pay FUTA

Are you saying employee should file H and pay the FUTA, tax, which is the employer's responsibility?

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

The exclusion you keep referring to applies to the the withholding of taxes by the Household Employer.

I don't believe it absolves the employee from paying employment taxes.

The exclusion does not have anything to do with FUTA, and I don't think I ever said it did.  What I am saying is the employee does not have to make up for it; whether it was due on form 940 or Schedule H.

The code says that wages paid to a household employee below the threshold are not subject to FICA/mc.  Why should a taxpayer working as an employee with wages below the threshold pay into them by filing a schedule C?

Help me with this please?   I have never had a household employee client, so I haven't put this on a return.   What I thought I knew was this:

If the employer does not pay the employee more than $2400, they don't have a WITHHOLDING AND 941/944 RETURN requirement, but they are still responsible for providing the employee with a W2.   They pay both halves of the SS/MED on Schedule H.   Do I have this right?

So in the original post above, the employer should still be sending the employee a W2?   Correct?   And they are going to put the amount of SS & Med the employer is going to pay because they did not withhold on the employee W2?   Correct?   

Tom
Longview, TX

50 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

employer does not pay the employee more than $2400

If  less than $2,400 , then not subject to SS on Schedule H.

If paid $1,000 or more in any quarter, then subject to FUTA on Schedule H.

W-2 should be filed regardless.  

If less than $2,400 and ss withheld, should consider refunding employee for fica since it was not required.