ATX Community

Office Sharing

mcbreck

My co-worker is making life unbearable (his family actually) and it's time I move on from this place. Anyone run their office out of an Office Sharing work site like WeWork or Regus? They have tiny private offices which I could rent I think just for tax season and then do a dedicated desk the rest of the year. I'm going to visit two of them this week and see about moving once tax season is over. I can't continue with this arrangement. Just wondering if anyone has used such a place and if they liked it.

I have not, but in my office in the next town, we "rent" a corner of the outer office to a CPA who generally works from home. Perhaps a CPA office in your town might be another option? I'd be concerned in a Regus-style shared office about the higher level of privacy/security that tax pros need, and if they are really up to covering that. Or maybe they are, since their business model depends on reliability in several areas. Just, don't limit your options to one kind of shared space.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Catherine said:

I have not, but in my office in the next town, we "rent" a corner of the outer office to a CPA who generally works from home. Perhaps a CPA office in your town might be another option? I'd be concerned in a Regus-style shared office about the higher level of privacy/security that tax pros need, and if they are really up to covering that. Or maybe they are, since their business model depends on reliability in several areas. Just, don't limit your options to one kind of shared space.

That is something I considered but there are already 2 CPAs working out of the space, a financial planner and multiple healthcare professionals (they do their billing and schedule appointments out of the space). I also take my computer home every evening now so I don't have that as an issue. It would be physical files which I have VERY few of anymore as everything is digital. I'd need a locked secure box better than the filing cabinets they provide. I think I'd need the private office all year as you can't have a client conversation in an open space. I'm concerned how many older clients I'll lose but there is a space near my home and there is a space 3 miles from my current office. I could have my office near home (2 miles) and work in their co-working space 1-2 afternoon per week near my current office just to meet clients. As an example I could declare I'm working out of the other location every Mon and Wed afternoon for client appointments. I offer a LOT of housecalls now and people refuse, people might take me up on it. If a client wants privacy for the meeting, they need to come to my private office.

I have a meeting with my co-worker's entire family tomorrow and their son is going to "put the foot down" on what he needs. The rest know what that means for me. It means their father will be forced to retire but the son doesn't care (or hasn't thought about that).

• Like 1

This company has a space that holds up to 20 people. The lady showing me around told me that when Covid hit and a local tech firm went "remote" that they had a team come into that space 7 days per week to work together on a project for 18 months. They were told to work from home - worked in this space and the company could turn their head. When they were done and allowed to go back - they picked up their laptops and left everything. She said they had printers, about 40 monitors and stands, huge TVs, cameras and special lighting for zoom calls. They left everything and told them to give it away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

How the heck did your co-worker's entire family ever get involved? You don't have to explain, it's just weird!🙄

Honestly, you wouldn't believe the drama this family is about if I told you (really it's just the wife and son). I'm just guessing but I'd say the sole purpose of this meeting is to show how important the son is and exert his authority (which he literally has none) and put his sister and the father in their place as he takes complete control.  I posted it on here previously, he has an ivy league education and couldn't figure out why his father's gross income on his W2 didn't match his net paychecks and he made accusations about it. It's that level of idiocy, I called him out on it and now he's been slighted and needs to put me in my place.

(the co-worker is OLD and doesn't actually work - he just likes being able to say he still works and collect a small check)

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I remember you posting about this family. I would keep any explanations very short and to the point. Don't make any excuses or point any fingers.

Just say you have decided to work by yourself and leave it at that. The more you say the longer the conversation will get.

Good luck👍

• Like 9

16 hours ago, cbslee said:

I remember you posting about this family. I would keep any explanations very short and to the point. Don't make any excuses or point any fingers.

Just say you have decided to work by yourself and leave it at that. The more you say the longer the conversation will get.

Good luck👍

I'm still deciding if I'm going to make the statement today or wait until he comes in next week to do it privately. I'm not a confrontational type of person (thus why this all bothers me so much). I'm having lunch with my dad today, I'll ask him as he's the smartest person I know. Thank you.

• Like 4