ATX Community

MFS SNAFU Heads Up

JJStephens

I prepped a return a week or so ago. After it was done I ran the MFS comparison routine. It came back saying MFS was better by about $600 so I split the return. 

I wasn't paying close enough attention. The spouse's return came out exactly as expected. The taxpayer's did not. 

When I prepared the original return Drake defaulted to taking bonus depreciation on some new farm equipment. TP did not want the bonus depreciation so we overrode it with SL depreciation. When I ran Drake the MFS comparison, the software again used the bonus depreciation to determine MFS was the better option. However, when it printed the returns, it reverted to taking the SL depreciation I had entered. That changed everything. It made MFS significantly worse. Neither I nor the client noticed it until moments after the return was e-filed. Now I have to go back and amend the return to restore MFJ.

Just a quick heads up that when Drake does the MFS comparison, it does not take into account any overrides you make on the original return. 

• Like 2