ATX Community

Would you allow this deduction?

MJG CPA

Taxpayer is giving me a hard time. He lives on the farm that he rents out. In 2007, he put in a blacktop driveway. He thinks this should be at least partially deductible because it is the same lane that is used by the farm tenant.

I don't think a blacktop drive falls qualifies as an "ordinary and necessary" expense. Am I being too strict?

What say you??

Taxpayer is giving me a hard time. He lives on the farm that he rents out. In 2007, he put in a blacktop driveway. He thinks this should be at least partially deductible because it is the same lane that is used by the farm tenant.

I don't think a blacktop drive falls qualifies as an "ordinary and necessary" expense. Am I being too strict?

What say you??

I would allow it as a depreciable land improvement; depreciated for 20 years at 50% usage as a deduction against the rental. Cite: Page J-1 Quickfinders for Small Businesses; Asset Class 00.3

>>Am I being too strict?<<

Yes. "Necessary" does not mean the business would fail without it, just that it is an appropriate expense that contributes to the business operations. In this case, providing four-season access for the tenant probably is required anyway. Assuming the cost is reasonable in proportion to the income, you would reduce the basis to the percent of business use. Land improvements have 15-year recovery. Although this is what the client has asked for, it could affect the Section 121 exclusion if he sells his home.

>>Am I being too strict?<<

Yes. "Necessary" does not mean the business would fail without it, just that it is an appropriate expense that contributes to the business operations. In this case, providing four-season access for the tenant probably is required anyway. Assuming the cost is reasonable in proportion to the income, you would reduce the basis to the percent of business use. Land improvements have 15-year recovery. Although this is what the client has asked for, it could affect the Section 121 exclusion if he sells his home.

I stand corrected;;;;MACRS is 15 years recovery. Next question...what happens to allowed or allowable if he sells the property and has not taken the deduction.?

>>I stand corrected<<

Our first posts overlapped, mchampine. Originally I called it 15-year property, but when I saw your post I edited mine to read 15-year recovery. Land improvements are 20-year property with a GDS recovery period of 15 years.

>>what happens to allowed or allowable if he sells the property and has not taken the deduction.?<<

In that case, we say the principal purpose of the road is for the home. De minimus usage by the tenant does not convert it to business property!