ATX Community

Ohio Preparers

Terry D EA

Have a client who was a resident of Ohio in 2019, in the military and stationed outside of Ohio. Military pay earned outside of Ohio. Ex-spouse had POA so filed the returns and did so incorrectly. Due to not excluding the military pay from the Ohio income, the refund was considerably less. My main question, are there any special exceptions to the three year statute to claim a refund for military personal. My client never signed the return nor ever seen the return. I've looked at the Ohio instructions but they are kinda  vague. Any insight is appreciated.

For any Ohio Preparers or others who want to know. Ohio does allow four years to claim a refund. I know folks don't like to click on links but here is the link. Good information to have.

https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-5747.11#:~:text=Section 5747.11 | Refunds - interest.&text=(A) The tax commissioner shall,or 5747.41%2C or Chapter 5748.

• Like 3