ATX Community

WHAT TO RECOMMEND FOR 2008

michaelmars

We can't decide whether or not to recommend installment sales, hard to predict what will happen to cap gain rates for the next few years or if current installments will lock in todays rates etc. Amending to opt out of an installment most likely will not be an option.

Tax planning has now become a game of throwing darts at a dart board. This is a 200 million cap gain!

I'd tend to recommend receiving the gain now, both because I suspect that tax rates will go up, at least on cap gains [you know only those evil rich people get them] and also because given the problems within the real estate market right now, I would favor a cash sale over an installment, on any sale where there was not a lot of equity paid down up front.

I'd tend to recommend receiving the gain now, both because I suspect that tax rates will go up, at least on cap gains [you know only those evil rich people get them] and also because given the problems within the real estate market right now, I would favor a cash sale over an installment, on any sale where there was not a lot of equity paid down up front.

Speaking of which, what are the new CG tax rates for 2008. Have they been changed as proposed? Thanks.