ATX Community

tech ?- how do I get rid of old databases

schirallicpa

I have called ATX on this, and they have told me I should not remove, delete, or mess with any database or client folders. Well - gee - why do I need to have all this old stuff hogging up space on my computer. We're talking 03 and 04. We can't even amend these anymore.............

Or is this an excuse to get a new computer. Actually, I'm of the mindset not to purchase new until the old dies. But I also have no idea what goes on behind the scenes on my computer and what I can zap and what I can't. Every since we were forced to give up DOS, I've been at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What I would do is to back up those old databases at least three different ways. On a CD, on a flash drive, and on some other backup device, such as a removable hard-drive. In fact, I'd do at least three CD's. Because you never know when you may want to refer to old files. Then, you can delete the old database. But do not delete the TAX PROGRAM ITSELF, because you never know when you might need to do somebody's delinquent returns for those old years.

As for a new computer, it's a LOT BETTER to buy one before the old one dies, so that you can migrate programs over from the old to the new, before you have a crash. Believe me, that is a lot easier and even cheaper, usually. In fact, if you buy from a local computer source, often you can get that done by their experts, as part of the deal. Just a thought. I would, for sure, buy the new one BEFORE the start of the tax season, because having to deal with it in the midst of tax work is enough to drive you insane. You want everything up and running and tested before the Jan rush starts.