ATX Community

Working in DC

Corduroy Frog

A Client of mine is considering accepting a contract opportunity in Washington DC.  This is not the beltline, MD, or VA, it is DC proper.

I would like to ask this group what to expect in the area of difficulty.  Applies to taxing authorities, regulators, enforcement, etc.  There is a cost of compliance involved, and the cost can vary greatly from state to state.  Example:  Louisiana low cost, California high cost.

Comments are welcome from those who have experience there.

Lots of people go work in DC for very limited times, and are considered non-resident guest workers not subject to DC income tax. However, any tax withheld they want refunded is mail-in forms only - they don't make it easy to get refunds. The Tax Book or QuickFinder may have details for you. I have one lady who works in DC for a week every year, they withhold like $50 in tax and she can't be bothered to reclaim it by mail.

Thank you Catherine for the heads up.  Limited time employees are not subject to tax, but the employer will need to withhold taxes anyway - is that correct, or is there a way around that? 

And then it may be hardly worth the trouble for employees to get refunds.  At least we know somewhat of what to expect.  Thanks.

• Like 1