ATX Community

efiling 1099s

JimTaxes

18 hours ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

I would add a late fee of some sort for those who bring in data after saying it is all there. 

I had one client (fired long ago!) who would promise and promise and promise. At the end, I was charging him quadruple my regular fee plus a late charge, and he was getting IRS late-filing penalties, and he never cared. I got sick of him and dumped him. If I wanted to nag people, I had teenagers at home (at the time).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimTaxes said:

but could never get registered

I managed to get registered, years ago, but it was always so clunky to use. EFMF is much easier, and also for the inevitable client whose contractors payout doesn't match the 1099s. Query them and get "oh, gee, can't believe I forgot to give you the numbers for Gary and Sheila" and just add those in separately later. Easy-peasy.

catherine. say a year from now.. tax year 2024, due in early 2025, will i be able to access the same filers and recipients that i just entered or do i have to start from scratch a year from now and enter names and addresses, etc again or does the site  allow you to access previously used filers and recipients and just edit as needed and insert new dollar amounts?  thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

@Catherine hi caterhine.. have you submitted any yet this year.. i have a lot.. one client told me they gave me the wrong amount.  i have to void that and issue a corrected one but that only stands true if efilemyforms has not processed them yet..  the status at the website still the 1099 to be in the transferred mode.. i was going to void it.. do you agree that i can still void it as of now, 01.06.24?  thank you

have you submitted any yet this year.

I have not yet submitted any this year; those are on the schedule for next week. I'd contact support and ask them; my memory of what to do with wrong amounts is fuzzy at best. I did have one, and I recall it wasn't hard to deal with but I don't recall, sorry! Plus if they've made any changes, my memory would still be of no help.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Lee B said:

Efiling of 1099s doesn't reopen until the 10th so you have Monday and Tuesday to get it fixed.

Very true - but the reason to contact support at EFMF is to make sure only the RIGHT one(s) get filed. I don't recall their process.

• Like 1

@Catherine have you submitted any for tax year 2023?  all mine still show In Process under the order history tab.

I have submitted several. In general, they wait until nearer the deadline to submit, in case you have changes. Once they submit and the files are accepted, they email you the submission confirmation (by order number). That delay has proven useful in the past. Post-deadline, reporting to the IRS is done within 24 hours.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:11 PM, JimTaxes said:

@Catherine have you submitted any for tax year 2023?  all mine still show In Process under the order history tab.

Today I have gotten a couple of emails for orders that have been accepted by the IRS. Yesterday I got emails saying they had been submitted.

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

Today I have gotten a couple of emails for orders that have been accepted by the IRS. Yesterday I got emails saying they had been submitted.

i received a bunch of emails from them today also.  they do not seem to be going in order of submission.. some newer filed ones were marked completed and older filed ones still show pending. 

• Like 1