ATX Community

CA not recognizing 592B

kathyc2

Non resident had small CA source income from 1065 K1.  LLC reported withholding on 592B.  I input the info from it including FEIN number before e-filing.  

I prepared 3 1040 returns for members of LLC and so far 2 have received a balance due notice which is the amount of withholding not being recognized.  

I told 1st client to send/fax them a copy of the 592B.  Second client e-mailed their notice this morning.  After thinking about it, I realized that they already have the info from 592B and sending a copy probably won't fix the matter.

I called the number on notice this morning and after she verified my info as 3rd party designee, she said she couldn't help and transferred me to another department.  Recording said about 10 minute hold time.  After being on hold over 30 minutes I found the PPL number.  This person had a very strong accent that I could barely understand, but I think she said they can't get to the information and that I should call back after 1.4.24.

Any suggestion from CA people how I should proceed to clear up the notices?

@kathyc2This is a known problem with the CA FTB.   They don't get the 592Bs electronically, so they can't match the withholding to the return and it kicks it out with a balance due notice.   A lot of times, the taxpayer is from out of state and challenging the FTB will cost more than the amount of the tax bill, so they just pay the bill.

If you want to get the money back, you have to mail a letter to the FTB with all the documentation and wait for them to read the letter, respond to the letter, and then issue the refund.   Takes time.  

Every morning when I wake up, I thank God that I did not wake up in California.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

Every morning when I wake up, I thank God that I did not wake up in California.

I do, and I am thankful. Our home, via circumstances out of our control, has for 30 years appreciated just under 2k per month, and will likely continue. While we would likely be able to find a different place to domicile, it is tough to give up the appreciation.

• 3 weeks later...