ATX Community

State redevelopment rebate

jklcpa

This particular rebate is from the state for redevelopment of certain designated areas and is paid after project's completion. An actual rebate, not a credit. This will be an apartment complex in an SMLLC.

Are these rebates considered taxable income because of the exception under the TCJA sec 118(b)(2), meaning this would be taxable income?  Is it correct that these rebates are taxable, or am I misinterpreting that?

On 1/26/2024 at 9:35 AM, jklcpa said:

Are these rebates considered taxable income because of the exception under the TCJA sec 118(b)(2), meaning this would be taxable income

The intent of TCJA was to eliminate the federal tax subsidy of state and local  development incentives.

Yes you are correct.   

It is gross income per section 61.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

The intent of TCJA was to eliminate the federal tax subsidy of state and local  development incentives.

Yes you are correct.   

It is gross income per section 61.

26 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

Sounds like a  tax planning question, better than coming to you after the fact.

Thank you, Dan. That was my conclusion but wanted another set of eyes on this.  You are correct that it is a planning question for the project that will most likely be completed in 2025.

1 minute ago, jklcpa said:

planning question for the project that will most likely be completed in 2025.

I forgot to mention an exception that you are probably aware of;  that would be if under a master plan approved by the government entity pre TCJA.