ATX Community

SE tax on clergy 401K contributions

artp

My client is a pastor (dual status taxpayer) meaning his wages are reported on W-2 but he is treated an self-employed for SE tax. He contributed $7,000 pre-tax to 401-K. Box 1 Wages $45,000, nothing else on W-2 except box 12a code D for $14,000. Does he have to gross up his SE wages to include the $14,000?
For a regular statuary employee his FICA wages would be grossed up and shown in boxes 3 and 4 , but I could not find anything definitely for a pastor. Various articles suggest than no gross up is requited. Looing for help on this. Thanks

I have the exact same situation with a pastor., except that mine has a W2 as a Hospital Chaplain and is SE as a Pastor.  I don't have your problem, however, because he has a 401-K on the W2 and an IRA as a pastor.  This is probably one of the most difficult and heart wrenching returns that I prepare, but he calls me his Angel and will never leave me.  He is a citizen, born and raised in Poland, and terrified of the Government.  He has been with me since 1999 and I have to be doing something right because he has never been questioned in all these years.  I, however, question myself every year.  My solace is that he prays for me and sincerely loves me.😇