ATX Community

Sale of Timeshare

I have a feeling I know the answer but am hoping I'm missing something.

Clients had a timeshare and wanted out.  The timeshare was in the husband's name and his wife could no longer travel due to health reasons. They spoke with a representative of the time share company and he recommended that the husband "convert" his time share into the name of the wife, using the "equity" in his time share to purchase the new time share.  The wife could then get out of the new time share by providing a doctor's note.  Sounded good to them until they received a 1099 S for $75,000.  They did not receive any cash in the deal. To the best of the husband's memory, he paid about $35,000 for the time share over 20 years ago (he is going to see if he can dig up the paperwork).  

Are any of the yearly fees and other expenses they had to pay able to be added to the basis?  

They have no idea how the company came up with the $75,000 value on the 1099 S.  Can the value of the time share be challenged and if so, how would it be presented on the 1040?

Perhaps the $ 75,000 is the current asking price for one of these timeshares?

Did they relinquish and turn back ownership of the timeshare in the same calendar year.

If they did, wouldn't that generate a capital loss?

3 hours ago, Patrick Michael said:

The wife could then get out of the new time share by providing a doctor's note.  Sounded good to them until they received a 1099 S for $75,000.  They did not receive any cash in the deal.

3 hours ago, Patrick Michael said:

They have no idea how the company came up with the $75,000 value on the 1099 S.

How can there be a recorded sale if they did not receive any consideration?

They received nothing for their shares?

Am I missing something here?

I don't understand the 'new time share'.  I know he transferred from him to her, but what was the 'new'?  Also, was there debt against it?  The fact that the post says 'use the equity in his current timeshare to purchase' sounds like a sale.  I'm lost, but you got my attention at 'equity to purchase'.

Personally, I'd report it on Schedule D with a cost of $75k. If it's not a viable sale that they received an asset in return, they didn't have a gain and you can't report a loss on the sale of a personal asset. (assuming it's not a business)