ATX Community

efile reject

BrewOne

anyone able to efile (successfully) recently?  Getting EFC Reject 38--"This efile was created before downloading the latest program or form update in ATX."

As suggested, went through Support: Customer Service Utilities: Refresh App Configurations...but no luck.  I might add I have green on Program and Forms.

Someone on ATX Facebook page says they are on the phone with ATX and was given an explanation: there is an update out that is not yet available.

• Sad 2

Not a user of ATX, but I have simlar warnings in my own software.

If you can manually install, try that (the check for update process may not have been updated fully). It could be a case of the process having the "update needed" flag set somewhere (likely online) and the new software not yet being automatically (or however they do it) installing.

I might power cycle my computer and try again, in case there is some sort of cache which needs clearing.

• Thanks 1

I suspect ATX is more complicated, but the process is likely similar. For me:

There is an online file which contains the information which tells the latest revision. The software reads the file and compares it to the EXE data, and if not current, handles the out of date issue as needed.

When I make a change, I first upload the new software, then update the data file. But, on occasion, I might miss something, or upload something incorrectly (as binary instead of ascii, or the reverse, proving yet again I am human). As soon as I am done, I test the new revision indicator and download myself. I usually catch errors before anyone else downloads, but not always.

There is also an issue with caching, as the user computer could not be reading the actual current revision info, as their browser or connection is reading a cached copy of the file. This is a REAL issue, and is one of the reasons I allow manual download, and have s system in place to try to keep the download from ever being cached.

I also usually leave the prior revision on my site, but not directly accessible, in case there is some need to install the prior revision (I can send a link). Has not been needed in years, but I still allow for human error.

OTOH, over the years, I have had to get stricter and stricter, and do have "stops" in place for cases where the user is not keeping current. Just a thing one must do not that computers and software are treated like appliances, and are expected to do all for the user, and insulate the user from any responsibility. When I started, 90% of my programming time was for the software functions/improvements. Now, 90% of my programming time is trying to prevent user errors.

• Like 1

click "Support" and "About"

mine says Version 23.1.8752.41567

I used the recommended resolution for EFC Reject 38:

close return, click Support, then Customer Service Utilities, select Refresh App Configurations

this has apparently not fixed it for everyone, according to what I'm seeing on Facebook

Ugh. I know many devs use revision numbers, and I used to as well (as it is easy to auto increment in the dev tool being used) but I went back to the revision DATE, as it is plain language anyone can understand. Devs need to accept users are no longer computer experts and to not get things such as major, minor, revision, and build numbers. For me, it is much clearer, and less likely to raise a support issue, showing a message saying something like "your revision is 97 days old", rather than "your revision is 2.23.45 builds old".

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BrewOne said:

click "Support" and "About"

mine says Version 23.1.8752.41567

I used the recommended resolution for EFC Reject 38:

close return, click Support, then Customer Service Utilities, select Refresh App Configurations

this has apparently not fixed it for everyone, according to what I'm seeing on Facebook

Thanks BrewOne.  That worked.

4 minutes ago, tom777 said:

Doesn’t work for me .  I am so tired and want to retire.  It works , why fix or update ? 

Maybe think like a one baker bakery (like I used to be for three years). When the mixer broke, the call to the repair shop was made while we were on the way to Tahoe or to the beach. It was amazing how fast we could hit the road, even if it was for 24 hours. I swear, it always broke on its own, and we were never pre packed up!