ATX Community

Montana Non-Resident State Return

Eli

Good evening. I am trying to file a Montana Non-Resident state return.  Taxpayer earned $5648 of his 130K in Mt.  It says he owes $6100+ in taxes.  I have already specified he earned the 5648 & has WH of $319.  Anyone familiar with MT taxes?

Thank you!

Have you included the nonresident/part-year ratio schedule in the return? That ratio from the schedule  would be applied to the overall MT tax on all income so that the tax is reduced to the same ratio that the MT income represents of the total income.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

Have you included the nonresident/part-year ratio schedule in the return? That ratio from the schedule  would be applied to the overall MT tax on all income so that the tax is reduced to the same ratio that the MT income represents of the total income.

Thank you for responding. I don't see any Non-resident nor part-year resident forms in the Mt state  section in forms.  I have 4 other states included & they all have those forms available.

8 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

Page 8 is where you enter MT source income.  You entered 130K as MT income.  Column B is for spouse MT income, not the total of MT income.  Put the 5648 in Column A.

Gosh!!  Thank you!!!!! 

• Like 1